Petaling Jaya – The tragedy of the death of Marco Simoncelli has raised questions about the feasibility and safety of the Sepang circuit. However, CEO of Sepang International Circuit (SIC), Datuk Razali Razlan hope this tragedy will not tarnish the reputation and the opportunity to hold the Sepang MotoGP race in the future.
In MotoGP Malaysia, Sunday, October 23 and noted there are two drivers other than Marco Simoncelli who had fallen as he turned the corner, that is Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo. They both fell during a practice session.
Rossi had been warned that the Sepang circuit is more dangerous than the previous circuit, MotoGP Phillip Island in Australia because the asphalt was very slippery. Contract MotoGP Sepang Circuit in holding its own going to end in 2013 and today it has filed a contract extension.
“We have been doing for 13 years, since the Sepang race was first held and the SIC are always proud of this track record,” said Razlan, Monday (31/10/2011).
“FIM does not take any action to us and, in fact, we are awaiting answers from the race promoters, Dorna about a contract extension to host MotoGP in 2014-2018,” said Razlan.